In the wake of the current Coronavirus epidemic, known as COVID-19, it is now more important than ever to keep your immune system as healthy as it can be. After all, it’s our bodies main defense against all manner of diseases, infections and other health issues.
One of the reasons why this outbreak is so dangerous, is that it has around a 14-day incubation period. This means that someone can be carrying the virus and not exhibit any systems for at least 14 days. During this time, they could be spreading the virus and not know it.
So what can you do to protect yourself and others? In addition to washing your hands frequently, it’s best to keep your immune system strong. There are many factors that contribute to how well your immune system operates, and there are many things you can do daily to keep this most important system of your body working its best.
Here are 5 key ways to strengthen your immune system during the Coronavirus outbreak.
Take supplements such as CBD
There are various different autoimmune conditions which affect how well the body
functions; however, those with high functioning immune systems can also benefit from taking supplements, especially during this Coronavirus epidemic. What many people don’t know is that we have an endocannabinoid system, which is intertwined with our immune system.
What is it? The endocannabinoid system (ECS) is one of our essential biological systems that is made up of endogenous, lipid-based retrograde neurotransmitters that bind to cannabinoid receptors and their proteins, which are expressed throughout our central and peripheral nervous system.
Taking a small dose of Cannabidoil daily is a natural supplement that can help keep these systems in tip-top shape. In this way, the modules within the endocannabinoid system that signal various responses in the immune system are strengthened by taking CBD oil or CBD capsules, and help with conditions that are affected by inflammation. In fact, studies have shown that cannabinoids can be very helpful in the treatment of various autoimmune diseases, such as multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, and lupus.
In addition, CBD is a natural way to find relief from anxiety, insomnia and general stress. When you are relaxed you are much less susceptible to having your immune system compromised.
Keep Your Stress Level Down
For many people, this can be a challenge! Our busy lives, our relationships and other factors contribute to our overall stress. With the added stress of the Coronavirus outbreak in the news, it is more important than ever to keep a level head. The stress hormone cortisol attacks the immune system. Here are a few tips and tricks to stay calm and focused:
- Turn off the news. Watching too much of anything (especially doom and gloom stories) is a bad thing. Often the news tends to sensationalize things. Get the facts about the COVID-19 virus by consulting such websites as the WHO or your state or local public health agency.
- Practice meditation, or at least deep breathing for at least 10 minutes a day. Doing this allows you to center yourself.
- Exercise a little every day and get good sleep. Get some fresh air with vigorous walks and try to get at least 7 hours of sleep a night.
- Stay connected with friends and family with whom you enjoy spending time. Laughter and connectedness is the best medicine.
- Practice gratitude. It may sound cheesy, but identifying 3 things that you are grateful for each day will give you a more optimistic outlook on life. And having a good attitude is a natural immune booster!
Eat an Organic Wholesome Diet
If you are an omnivore, consider going vegetarian or even vegan, if only for a little while! A complete plant-based diet is one of the best things you can do for your body. A diet rich in fresh, whole foods with lots of vegetables, fruits and legumes gives you all the nutrition you need to stay healthy. There are some great easy recipes out there.
Avoid sugar, alcohol and processed foods as much as possible. It’s true that in today’s society that can be a challenge, but it can be done! You will naturally feel better, as well.
Having quality snacks around is great: veggie sticks, fresh fruit, roasted nuts/seeds, or rice cakes with spreads is a good start. Cutting down on sugar intake, in particular, should be a top priority, no matter what the situation.
In addition, foods rich in antioxidants can be a boom to your immune system. Eat delicious foods such as blueberries, watermelon, carrots, broccoli, cantaloupe and leafy greens as much as possible.
Did you know? Our bodies contain about 10 times more bacteria than cells! Most of them are friendly, however, and most reside in our gut (friendly gut flora). The friendly kind attack pathogenic bacteria and fungi, and trigger our white cells to attack invaders. When we eat things containing GMOs, our friendly bacteria get depleted. That’s why its important to eat probiotic fermented foods such as greek yogurt (without added sugar), miso, tempeh and sauerkraut. Don’t like those foods? There are probiotic supplements you can take, as well. Look for those supplements that contain lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium.
Take Natural Immune Boosters
There are a few, but putting these natural foods into your stir fry, stews, soups or rice mixtures can boost the immunity quite well:
- Maitake mushrooms: very high in protein, with 15 amino acids. Has a lovely nutty flavor when sautéed, and great with rice and beans, pasta and stir frys.
- Burdock: a hearty plant from the thistle family, its dark brown root is one of nature’s finest blood and skin purifiers. Use in a stew or long-simmered sautés.
- Umeboshi plums: these are Japanese pickles that have a salty, fruity taste. They are traditionally served as a condiment, and help aid in the healing of such ailments as migraines and are also a great source of Vitamin C, in addition to being a wonderful immune booster.
Practicing a combination of many of these methods will not only boost your immune system during this unfortunate Coronavirus outbreak, you will most certainly feel better overall